Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finally an alternative to incandescents?

On Fri, 24 May 2013 10:03:04 -0700 (PDT), Robert
wrote:

I am what one would call a "frugalista", and a retired engineer
to boot.

I retired, too, (and have the pension to prove it but decided it
wasn't for me (yet). Design is too much fun. As an engineer, I
understand how to make economic decisions. The most expensive initial
expense isn't usually the best (economic) choice. I also know ugly.
CFLs are *ugly*.

In my mancave, in the summer, I put in the 9W CFLs to
cut down on the air condx load. In the winter I put in
100w incandescents to normalize out the load on the electric
space heater...

I turn lights off. Saves even more.

In the summer, the light is free, in the winter, the extra heat is
free.

Not free, but cheaper.

I probably save 2 or 3 dollars a year. But, just the feeling that
I am taking advantages of the two technologies, makes it
something I want to do....

Perhaps. I'd save nothing by replacing my incandescents with CFLs. I
hate them where I have them but they do save something.

I am a BIG fan of LED light sources. Up to now, the cost
tradeoff doesn't make it attractive for me for house lighting.
For flashlights, camp lanterns, emergency lighting --- I am
enthusiastic about it.....

I have never seen an LED flashlight I like. I have a couple that have
LED + tungsten. I never use the LEDs.

Some day, maybe not too far off, they will be mass produced in
a way to make them more cost effective..... I'll be one of the
first in line for the conversion.... but not today.

Perhaps. I still don't like the light and it's impossible to know
what you're really buying. Choice is good.