Posted to alt.home.repair
Attila Iskander Attila Iskander is offline

Default UK soldier was hacked to death by two black men in SE London (and KRWilliams says - what?)

"nestork" wrote in message

[_2_ Wrote:
;3067436']
I see. So, while you think the Britts should arm every
cop, you also think a person needs a darn good reason
to have a pistol in their own house. Is wanting to be
able to protect yourself a good enough reason?

OK, let's say I hear someone late at night walking around in my house
(if I had a house). Yes, ideally, I would like to have a hand gun in my
hand when I go to confront them. However, I understand that a hunting
rifle would be nearly as effective in that situation,

No it wouldn't
Given the choice, I would go for a handgun or shotgun
Problems with a hunting rifle a
A hunting rifle is WAY TOO LONG to be handled safely in a building
It exposes you to having the rifle grabbed
It's also typically way more powerfull than you want to use with the
risk of a bullet going though multiple wall and even leaving the building.

whereas no burglar is going to be lurking around the neighborhood
while carrying a hunting rifle because that would draw attention to him
and people would call the police.

That has GOT to be the MOST STUPID argument ever.
A burglar is a CRIMINAL
Are you silly enouhg to presume that a burglar would not carry a handgun
that is easily concealed while walking around the neighborhood ?

So, I still have the upper hand if I have a hunting rifle in my
house for protection, even if I never hunt.

Except that in Canada, your rifle is locked away and the ammo is also locked
away.
Are you going to tell the burglar to hold a few minutes so you can get your
gun and load up ?
Remember what happened with Parasiris in Laval a few years back
The police broke into his home in the middle of the nigh using a no-knock
warrant that not only was unjustified, but actually flawed ?

And, I understand that
loosening the laws to make it easier for me to own a handgun will also
make it easier for any burglar that breaks into my house to own a
handgun.

That would only hold if you are silly enough to imagine that a burglar would
1) go trhough the legal process to get one
2) instead of just getting one on the black market, as criminals are
currently ALREADY DOING.

I prefer the status quo.

Not surprising considering the naive and silly arguments you have used to
justify it.

I'd prefer the situation where I have a hunting rifle against
an unarmed burglar to one where we both have hand guns.

Criminals have no problems getting handguns on the black market.
And they get them far more easily than you do.
The very fact that homeowners like you are disarmed is the very reason that
hot burglaries are more popular in Canada, Australia and the UK than in the
US

Please educate yourself BEFORE you come back to spout more ignorant nonsense
http://davekopel.org/2a/LawRev/LawyersGunsBurglars.htm