Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default What's your most stupid DIY cockup?

On 2013-05-24, John Rumm wrote:

On 24/05/2013 11:15, Muddymike wrote:
I was once working whilst standing on the top platform of a stepladder
having turned this way and that I stepped down on the side without any
steps, with paint kettle in hand!

Luckily it was only a 3 ft tall step ladder.

Mate of mine was painting a ceiling... stepped down from the ladder,
straight into a 15L bucket of emulsion ;-)

Our varnished, cork-tiled bathroom floor is considerably darker than
the tiles were originally.

The instructions with the tiles & glue said to put enough glue around
the edges for some excess to squeeze through, then wipe it off. I
didn't wipe it off quickly enough, so there were dark bits around all
the edges. The Planning Committee said she thought the tiles were too
light, & why not stain them darker to cover up the glue stains?

So I carefully stained the sides, then worked down the middle strip
from the open window towards the door, but near the end I kicked over
the tin of stain, so I had to even the puddle out.

Fortunately, the varnishing later was trouble-free.