Bob Schmall

Default Treated lumber for bird house

"Rick Chamberlain" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
I toiled for a while at a Wild Birds Unltd store. The manager/owner knew

her
stuff and was vehemently against ANY finish on the wood, even those that

are
"non-toxic" for humans. She felt that not only were the birds

susceptible to
the treated wood itself but also to the outgassing that cannot be

prevented.
Her recommendation was to use untreated, unfinished pine. Yes, it will
decay, but no, the birds won't.

You know Bob, my first inclination was that PT lumber was no good for
birds either. But then I was quickly reminded of the sparrows nesting
(and ****ting) under my deck. Maybe sparrows have a higher tolerance,
considering they have 3 nests tucked in between the PT joists.

We used to have robins too, but the damned sparrows chased them off.

Maybe it's time for a cat...

....or some sparrow houses. That'll teach you use ipe.

How was the getaway weekend?

Bob