Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bit OT, compact, low current 220/110 step down transformer?

janders fired this volley in news:yNLnt.40352
:

Have no idea what the current draw is.
Travel step down transformers generally caution against continuous

duty,
but wondering if maybe a quality one might work. I'd strip internals
from the case and rearrange inside the base. Thoughts?
Or is there a simple and small step down transformer that is even more
compact? And yes, hoping the bulb lives long enough to justify the
effort...

I couldn't be sure without seeing it, but that sounds like a gas-
discharge lamp (like a neon bulb, but perhaps a gas blend that gives a
different color).

If so, you need only a limiting resistor.

Bets are off if there are electronics in the base of the bulb. In that
case, I'd say it's voltage sensitive, and you'll need some way to drop
the voltage.

Likely, the current is low. Most "neons" pass only low tens of
milliamps, max. If that's the case, most any small power transformer
rated for 6-10VA with a center-tapped 220V primary would do.

Use it in "autoformer" mode, hooking 220V to the outside leads, and
tapping 110V from the line-neutral leg to the center leg.

Lloyd