nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post
I see. So, while you think the Britts should arm every
cop, you also think a person needs a darn good reason
to have a pistol in their own house. Is wanting to be
able to protect yourself a good enough reason?
OK, let's say I hear someone late at night walking around in my house (if I had a house). Yes, ideally, I would like to have a hand gun in my hand when I go to confront them. However, I understand that a hunting rifle would be nearly as effective in that situation, whereas no burglar is going to be lurking around the neighborhood while carrying a hunting rifle because that would draw attention to him and people would call the police. So, I still have the upper hand if I have a hunting rifle in my house for protection, even if I never hunt. And, I understand that loosening the laws to make it easier for me to own a handgun will also make it easier for any burglar that breaks into my house to own a handgun. I prefer the status quo. I'd prefer the situation where I have a hunting rifle against an unarmed burglar to one where we both have hand guns.