Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Gluing (?) wood to concrete

Peter Percival wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Peter Percival wrote:
Rick Hughes wrote:

[snip]

you could use resin fixings, no risk of cracking concrete and hole is
fully filled

Excuse my ignorance, but I've never heard of resin fixings.

You drill a hole, inject a liquid resin and hardener then insert a threaded
rod and wait for the resin to harden before using the rod to bolt down the
attachment.

That sounds like a good idea. Let's suppose I fix the wood to the
concrete thus, there will be a gap. It there something like the stuff
one puts round the edge of baths (silicone something-or-other) that I can
fill that gap with, but suitable for out-door use?

When we built our barn/garage it was done by building an oak frame on dwarf
walls. The wall plate was screwed to the wall using Monti screws. The only
material between the wall plate and the wall is plastic DPC. The lowest
weatherboard covers the gap between wall plate and wall. A better solution
than sealant IMO.

If you must use sealant I suggest either polysulphide or MS Polymer. I've
used both and they do a good job of stopping moisture penetrating wood if
you get an even coat on the wood surface that will mate against the wall.

Another method is to use non-expanding masonry screws. These need an exact
hole drilling so you need an SDS drill and the appropriate bit.

Otoh "exact" is a bit worrying.

More exact than you will get with an ordinary hammer drill. An SDS is
ideal, use screws long enough to ensure that there's 40mm or so of screw in
the concrete.

--
€˘DarWin|
_/ _/