Paul Kierstead

Default Treated lumber for bird house

In article
rs.com,
Paul Kierstead wrote:

That is 253/day, 10/hour or about one every 5 1/2 minutes.

Just to be clear, that is for injuries and deaths. Deaths alone should
be about 1/3 that, or about every 15 minutes or so.

Now the US is a big place with a lot of people, so the whole 15 minute
thing is really a bit bogus. However, the homicide rates tell us that
either

a) Death via accident and illness is *insanely* low
or
b) The US has a serious problem with Homicide.

You can easily verify yourself by comparison to countries of similar
culture and wealth that the US is comparable for (a) and that (b) is
true. I won't do all your research for you.

However, I will admit that quite a few countries have high gun ownership
without a coorsponding high homicide rate, so it is quite apparent that
gun ownership itself is not the cause. Whether it contributes is, of
course, open for debate and extremely difficult to measure with any
level of certainty.

All that being said, go do some woodworking. And make something nice,
not dangerous