Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Copying an eccentric bushing

Jim Wilkins wrote:
I'm trying to repair a partly stripped spare headstock for a South
Bend Heavy 10, as shown on page 2 of this:
http://www.neme-s.org/Shaper%20Books...s%20Manual.pdf

I haven't figured out how to make the back gear lever K+J, which moves
the eccentrically-located quill shaft in or out of engagement with the
spindle gears. My lathe is 30 years older than that manual and the
spare probably older still, and they don't appear to have a separate
bushing J, the lever and the eccentric bushing look like a single
casting. The shaft is taper-pinned to the eccentric bushings at both
ends so the shaft and bushings rotate together.

I got as far as drilling oversized round stock to fit on the shaft but
now I don't see how to attach the blank for K to O to turn the outer
bearing surface concentric and then move it to the far end of the
shaft without losing rotational alignment. To complicate the problem
the OD at J is 1.250" while O's is 1.625".

It would be easy if I cut key slots in the shaft, K and O, locking
them together while turning J and preserving the angular alignment
when I move K+J to the far end. Can you think of a method that uses
the original hard-to-find SB shaft and part O without damaging them?
jsw

Why not make it all as new parts instead of trying to work on the old ones?

Turn THREE eccentrics, then align drill/ream the pin holes. Now mill
your slot in one of those. Remove the slotted bushing and stack it on a
suitable section of shafting with the third eccentric and line them up.
Make witness marks and pull them apart, now bore holes foe a pair of
dowel pins on the adjoining faces. Turn a suitable handle and mill a
flat on the outer bushing and weld the handle on. Drill and tap for a
set screw to hold the piece to the shaft with the dowels fully seated.

--
Steve W.