Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Bit O.T. Speeding ... ?

"ARW" wrote in message
polygonum wrote:
On 21/05/2013 02:18, Arfa Daily wrote:

Now, I find new roundabouts are often a 'free-for-all' with lanes
weaving about all over the place, with 'instructions' painted on the
road in an effort to get you routed into the correct lane for where
you want to go.

They reworked the Barnes Meadow Interchange in Northampton a couple
of years back, and turned what was a perfectly serviceable
roundabout / interchange system, into a multi-lane nightmare that
follows no discernable rules, and often results in drivers cutting
you up as they try to find their way around it ...

Don't you love those instructions on the road at busy times? The times
when there are vehicles stopped all over them so you have no chance of
reading ...

You would not believe how many drivers I let change lanes at a roundabout
near me when they have realised that they are in the wrong lane. LH lane
left turn only - RH lane staight on and turn right. A simple sign on a
post before the road splits into two is all drivers who do not know the
road need.
--
Adam

It wouldn't be so bad if roundabouts were consistent in which lanes went
where, and if a little more thought was given when deciding this. On one
near me, they put in an extra lane for 50 yards or so, at the far left. Now
as the first exit from this roundabout is a dual carriageway ringroad, and
the 'straight on' is traffic light controlled actually on the roundabout to
allow the zombies to come out of the Tesco store that's there, and therefore
causes traffic to stack up around the roundabout when the lights are at red,
you'd have thought that the new lane would have been left turn only, so
people wanting to turn onto the ringroad had a clear run at it. But no. They
made it straight on and left, and changed what was then the far right lane
to right only. So lots of people going straight on stick to that left hand
lane, and block it up because they can't then go anywhere, because somewhere
up ahead on the roundabout, the lights are against them. And of course,
there is a box junction on the roundabout in an effort to stop them clogging
the roundabout itself for stuff coming round from the other roads, so that
blocks the left lane even longer. It's so frustrating sitting in that line
of traffic, able to se that the exit road is completely clear, and not being
able to get to it, as the straight-ons crawl onto the roundabout, one at a
time ...

A little bit of thought could have made this work so much better.

Arfa