Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Copying an eccentric bushing

"Paul Drahn" wrote in message
On 5/23/2013 3:39 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
I'm trying to repair a partly stripped spare headstock for a South
Bend Heavy 10, as shown on page 2 of this:
http://www.neme-s.org/Shaper%20Books...s%20Manual.pdf

The exploded drawing seems to be showing only the right-hand end of
the shaft is raised to disengage the small gear. The left-hand end
is always engaged. And the lever and left-hand bushing are a single
casting, as you wrote.

I wonder if someone else has repaired the machine and pinned an
eccentric bushing at both ends, so both gears are disengaged?

Paul

The drawing on page 2 doesn't show the shape of the parts accurately.
Both end bushings are eccentrically bored to the same offset and
pinned to the shaft with #2 taper pins, parts 91 and 102 on page 15,
which shows the eccentricity more clearly. Shaft 94 is 0.748" diameter
its full length except for grease grooves. The *** for 92 and 93 on
page 16 indicates that the 10" model doesn't use them.

On my working lathe the backgear shaft remains parallel to the spindle
as the lever K swings it in or out of engagement. I'd loan K+J from
the good lathe to the spare as needed if the taper pin holes aligned,
but they are shifted by almost the pin's diameter on the spare
headstock.

I bought the spare headstock to make a large diameter wheel and pulley
lathe, with the tool bit on an X-Y table that's manually aligned
parallel to the faceplate so it won't require precision ways, just a
rigid frame. It will definitely need working back gears.

jsw