Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default improving floor insulation

On May 23, 3:48*pm, RobertL wrote:
On Sunday, December 9, 2012 2:42:18 PM UTC, Geoff Pearson wrote:
I am thinking of improving the floor insulation of my house. *Under the
ground floor of my 1897 stone-built house in Edinburgh I have a space about
1.6m high under all the rooms so access for work is very good. *My energy
bills (gas+electricity) are about £2800 a year.

The floor is a standard Edinburgh floor: 11 inch joists with the space
between filled with ash and covered in plaster, supported on riven wooden
strips, themselves supported on battens along the joists. *This deafening

Forgive me for repeating this story if you read it before.

The architect Hope Bagnell once described the sound insulation of Glasgow tenements (with sand/ash filling between joists) and compared it to that in (1960s) buildings. *He said "in Victorian times it was boasted that you could not hear a baby being born in the room above. *These days you can hear it being conceived".

Robert

I missed this post so couldn't put in my pennyworth at the time. I'm
the poor peasant that lives in a farm cottage 10 miles outside
Edinburgh and have a similar problem without the access the OP has.

If I had spotted the post back in December, I would have recommended
that the OP invests in one of the inexpensive IR thermometers off Ebay
or the likes to see quite what the floor temperature was. It might
well have been that it was only a degree or so less than the wall
temperature and therefore further insulation was unnecessary. That
opportunity has now been missed unfortunately as my suspicion is that
the deadening would act as quite adequate insulation.

I measure 3 or 4C in my situation in comparison to the wall surface
temperature - plasterboard over insulation and 3ft thick stone
walls.

My approach is going to have to be to reduce the excessive under floor
ventilation, but I am going to put in sensors to monitor the
temperature and humidity in the timbers.

Rob