Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gefreiter Krueger Gefreiter Krueger is offline

Default Increasing the range of an RFID door access control

On Thu, 23 May 2013 21:21:29 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2013 20:00:30 +0100, Bob Minchin
wrote:

Gefreiter Krueger wrote:
I got a cheap door access controller from Hong Kong. The keyfob has to
be placed within 1.5 inches of the keypad for it to be picked up. Is it
possible to make it sensitive enough so that approaching the doorway
with the keyfob in your pocket would unlock the door? (Much like some
cars do). It picks up the fob using a coil of wire round the edge of
the keypad (which is 10cm across). The coil looks like about 100 winds
of thin wire of the same sort used in CRTs. If I made a huge version of
this coil right round the doorway, would the range be increased? Or
would there not be enough power in the chip to transmit over that much
area?

Not a lot you can do without a lot of test equipment and knowledge.
These things are specified for a range of 100mm maximum. There is a
different standard to cover the 100cm units that are possibly used in
cars.
1) you need extra power so that sufficient RF power arrives at the tag
to power it up.
2)Tinkering with the coil will de-tune it and will transmit far less
power and reduce the RF sensitivity.

Is amplifying the signal an easy thing to achieve? If not, where can I
buy one with the same range as a car one?

Bloody advert said 10 metres. I bought it ages ago, the ones on sale
now say 10cm (I assume it was a typo). It's not 10cm though, it's more
like 3.

I'm afraid not,
The problem is that the amplifier much switch very rapidly and the
receiver must recover very quickly from the overload.
This is akin to having your head inside a drum that is being hit hard
and then needing to hear a pin drop a few microseconds later!

What you have is a proximity system which must have no MORE than 100mm
range for security reasons such as payment system (contactless smart
cards, oyster cards etc) These are described by ISO 14443

The up to 100cm system are 'vicinity' systems and covered by ISO 15693
and should be what you desire.
Note that others will be able to read your tag at up to 100cm range and
may then clone the information to gain access to your door.
A balance of security and convenience needs to be considered.

Presumably it's not that easy to read and copy it, otherwise all these keyless cars would be getting stolen. Perhaps some kind of encrypted code is sent both ways?

I shall play around with slightly different aerials and see what I can do. Even doubling the distance would be good, at present you have to almost touch the fob on the panel, and have it orientated correctly aswell.

Is the signal stronger INSIDE the loop of the aerial perhaps? If I brought the loop out of the casing and placed it round the frame of one of the door's window panels, the fob could easily be inserted into the coil by touching the pane of glass with it.

--
G.A.Y. - Got Aids Yet?