Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default slitting spring bronze

On Monday, May 20, 2013 1:09:40 PM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Ok, 'solutions guys'...

I have some 0.010" phosphor bronze (spring temper) in rolls 6" wide x

80" long.

I need to cleanly slit some 3/8" strips x 80" from this without any edge

distortion.

We tried taking one a sheet metal house that had a long scissor-type

shear, and it cut it, but also curled the edge too much for our

application. It has to wind flat in a coil when finished.

I've tried sheet metal hand shears without much joy, a nibbler just chews

it, and sawing it on anything we've got is impossible.

We must not heat it. Also cost is an issue, or I'd have it done at a

waterjet and laser house down the road, but they want a couple-hundred

just to set up a job. For only five strips, that's not in budget.

A virgin roll has perfect edges, and rolls tightly. The mill that makes

the rolls from larger sheet stock cannot go narrower than 1".

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lloyd

http://www.azcocorp.com/ Andy is a slitting genius, and a nice guy. Give him a call and I'm sure he'll have a suggestion.