GJP

Default building a base for my dad's lathe

"John Moorhead" wrote in
m:

Folks -

I've been working on a mobile base for my dad's Homecraft Delta
Milwaukee Rockwell 36" lathe, circa 1950ish. The headstock has
indexing, which is a nice feature.... My dad used it in patternmaking
for microfilm camera bodies.
I turned his cremation urn on it.

I'm going to clean the lathe up and polish the ways, but I am not
going to repaint it or anything. The bearings all still feel smooth
and have oil cups for lubrication. My dad had it set up with a 4
speed jackshaft and a 1/3 hp motor. I'll keep the motor for now and
then bump up to something a *little* larger.

Pop had the lathe mounted to a bench with the motor and jackshaft
behind the headstock. I don't have the luxury of that kind of room,
so I am mounting the powertrain more or less vertically. Getting
everything set so that the belts all tighten on rotation is taking
some doing, but hasn't produced much scrapwood...

I am going to set the lathe base up with casters for moving, other
than that it sits flat on a base. I'll set the tailstock column up as
storage for tools and may mount a disc on the outboard end of the
headstock for a *******ized version of "scary sharp" touch up for
chisels.

Pics to follow you know where.

John Moorhead

Hi John;
ShopNotes #10 had a article on a heavy duty Lathe Stand and ShopNotes #67
had another article on a lathe stand for a Mini Lathe suitable for an
extended bed and designed to be portable...nice looking designs...don't
know wether you would be interested, just thought I'd mention it.

GJP