Posted to ed.general,uk.d-i-y
Geoff Pearson Geoff Pearson is offline

Default improving floor insulation

"Windmill" wrote in message
"Geoff Pearson" writes:

Just to finish the story: The Energy Savings Trust arranged for Carillion
do the work, paid for by Edinburgh Council/Scottish Government, for no
cost
to me in April. All complete in two hours - now I have to work out if it
makes a difference.

What exactly did they do about things like wiring strung across joists?

I've asked about insulation in the past but was told that no grants
were available, though the house in question sounds similar to yours:
two story terraced (but split into an upper and lower flat), with a 1.5m
crawl space underneath the ground floor ventilated to the outside, flat
cold as all hell in winter.

I think it could be made tolerable in its uninsulated condition with
10KW of storage heating, but that would cost ~200 per month.

Luckily I grew up at a time when there was no heat in any house until a
fire had been lit, remember times when water in a flower vase beside
the window froze overnight, and although I've become a bit soft as the
years go by am willing to add extra clothing by day and use an electric
blanket by night . (Better still, though, is not to be there at all!)

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m

I wired the house 25 years ago - I didn't have much in the way of
cross-joist wiring - I mainly took it to the wall and traversed from there.
I didn't have a grant - they just did it - no conditions, no personal
details, no means test (the house is worth towards £500k).