Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Brown Simon Brown is offline

Default OT. Farage in Scotland

"harry" wrote in message
On May 23, 3:11 am, "Simon Brown" wrote:
"The Natural Philosopher" wrote in

On 22/05/13 22:54, Simon Brown wrote:

On 22/05/13 22:02, Simon Brown wrote:

"
Yes, you could certainly return to what was done in WW2.

you have your head in the clouds mate.

WE didnt 'do without fossil fuels' in WWII,

Not much fossil fuel was used in the agriculture being discussed.
No? what did the tractors run on?? and why was the battle of the
atlantic
so vital?

To move the vast amount of stuff the military was using.

cos we were importing half our food

Not during the war itself.

and most of our fuel from america.
And how doi te food get from farm and portt to teh cities?
Hint: it wasnt on hors drawn wagins or canal nboats.

Mostly by rail.

And we have since worked out how to use biodiesel in ag machines too.

we did with a lot less fossil fuel, and it was very tough.

But nothing like the mass starvation that he claimed is guaranteed.
it is guranteed.

No.

The last time we were fully renewable the population was less than 4
million. Its now 70 million.

And plenty of places manage to feed themselves with much
higher population numbers than that with very little fossil
fuel or chemicals used in their agriculture in say the last
couple of decades.

there is not the land area in the uk to grow even one percent of the
biofuel we would need.

That is just plain wrong with the agriculture that
he claimed would collapse.

It is in fact entirely correvct.

Now explain why it did not happen in all those
places that used very little fossil fuel or chemicals
in their agriculture in the last couple of decades.

WE had serious reserves of coal in those days, too.

And now have coal seam gas instead.
that isn't not having fossil fuel is it?

Yes, but that coal is going to last for hundreds of years.

we have maybe 20 years of gas

It is going to last a lot longer than that.

and then nada.

That is just plain wrong too.

nuclear or megadeath.

Now explain why it did not happen in all those
places that used very little fossil fuel or chemicals
in their agriculture in the last couple of decades.

The other factor of course being global warming which
will disprupt agriculture however it manifests itself.

With relatively cold places like Britain, it may well be
a good thing for agriculture if it actually does produce
some warming.