Bob Schmall

Default Treated lumber for bird house

I toiled for a while at a Wild Birds Unltd store. The manager/owner knew her
stuff and was vehemently against ANY finish on the wood, even those that are
"non-toxic" for humans. She felt that not only were the birds susceptible to
the treated wood itself but also to the outgassing that cannot be prevented.
Her recommendation was to use untreated, unfinished pine. Yes, it will
decay, but no, the birds won't.

Bob

"Indyrose" wrote in message
m...
One of my 4-H wood working kids turned up with treated lumber for
making a bird house. It's the new stuff, AC2-- not CCA -- but I still
don't trust the new stuff.

I'm in the process of telling him why that is a bad idea, and to use
just about anything else instead -- even cheap pine with a good latex
exterior paint for protection.

Although it is touted as being "less toxic," that still doesn't put my
mind at ease. Personally, I wouldn't work with it indoors, use it with
animals (birds) or let kids handle it much. I certainly wouldn't want
to finish sand the stuff.

Am I being too cautious, as the kid's parents seem to think I am?

Indyrose

Reply on the wreck or to my "real" email at indyrose at milmac dot
com.