Posted to alt.cellular-phone-tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.internet.wireless
Eddie Powalski Eddie Powalski is offline

Default How can a toll-free number fail on landlines & VOIP but not oncellphones?

On Wed, 22 May 2013 12:19:56 -0700, Robert Macy wrote:

called from Arizona landline and got a menu that asked me to press "1"
for English.

Somehow bypassing that menu?

I'm a bit confused but I appreciate your test from Arizona.
In all three cases, I get the "Press 1 for English"; but only with the
cell phone does that actually get to another prompt.

In the case of the landline and VOIP phone, after the "Press 1 for
English", it goes to an error message in British English and then
in a foreign language (i.e., it never gets to a human).

In the case of the cell phone, after the "Press 1 for English",
there are a bunch of other prompts, and eventually, a human answers
in English.

Given that all three repeatedly called the same number (1-877-817-1759),
how can it possibly be that the landline & VOIP got a wholly different
response than did the cellphone?