Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rebuilding in Moore, OK

On Wed, 22 May 2013 21:29:58 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Wed, 22 May 2013 20:52:55 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

The point is this:

Why would you want to design and build a house that could face a tornado
and come out with minimal dammage if your surrounding community was
trashed, your trees and surround property was trashed, etc.

Coming out as the only house for blocks that survived a tornado would
just leave you in the middle of a garbage dump with an uncertain
economic future.

I'd be alive and that would be a nice reward. If everyone built their
houses from concrete and steel, I've have plenty of neighbors. Of
course there would still be some damage, but far less.

This town seems to be in a very tornado prone spot due probably to
topography. If that is so, I'd build 10 miles away. I do not know
this for fact, but I'd investigate before building.

You've never lived in tornado country, obviously.

Between all the tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, forest fires, land
slides, sink holes and earth quakes that happen in the US, and the
deserts, mountains and other places were you simply can't build a house
or a community, there really isin't a lot of land area in the US where
you can have a home or entire city that can go 20, 30, 50 years without
getting ****ed over by mother nature.

Wrong. There are tens of thousands of square miles with homes never
damaged by severe weather. Of course there is plenty of risky areas.
IMO, if you want to build right on the ocean beach, go ahead, just
don't ask me for help when it is destroyed by a high tide in a storm.
Same goes with houses built below sea level like in New Orleans.

They hadn't been in New Jersey, either.

As it is, our tornado area is very close to where much of our food is
grown. There is some risk living there. OTOH, when a river floods
every four to ten years, you don't build there as many still do. Or
put the house on stilts well above historic flood levels.

There, we agree. You don't have to move far to avoid floods.