Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Rockler FX router lift

On 5/22/2013 1:37 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 22 May 2013 12:55:39 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/22/2013 11:59 AM,
wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 20:09:10 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 5/21/2013 7:55 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 13:47:21 -0700, Pat Barber
wrote:

On 5/16/2013 8:20 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:
I'm considering using this set up for panel-raising operations. While I recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall that there are speed reducers available, oui?

Yes...there are speed reducers but they are not good for the
router motor.

If you are going to raise panels with a 690, use a vertical
panel raiser.

I think a router table needs a variable speed router for
typical work and that includes big ass panel raising bits.

How is a variable speed control bad for a universal motor when a
variable speed control on a router (with a universal motor) isn't?

Think your way of working before you purchase.

I can offer that an external speed control is typically rated for "X"
amperage, often much greater than that of the unit is regulating.

Typically routers with built in speed control also have the ability to
monitor the router speed and give more gas with it senses the RPM's
slowing down. External speed controllers are not a whole much more than
a dimmer switch for your lighting and do not monitor speed control.

I have both, I used an external on a 15 amp single speed router and
while it did control the speed while running unloaded if you added a
load you had to adjust accordingly. With a built-in speed controller it
tends to maintain the RPM's to a constant up until you exceed the
capacity of the router.

Not sure I buy that but how is that bad for the motor? As long as you
don't stall the thing, there shouldn't be any problems.

Just giving you actual experience of the problems associated with using
a built in vs. external speed control.

I'm sure *SOME* routers have RPM feedback in their speed controls but
it is certainly not ubiquitous. Most *are* just heavy-duty lamp
dimmers. Again, my question was more about why an external controller
would damage a universal motor when an internal wouldn't damage the
same motor.

Every one of my three different brand routers that I have bought since
1998 have the rpm monitoring, and soft start. Chances are a soft start
variable speed router will do this. Triton, Bosch, Makita