Henry E Schaffer

Default constructing a wooden scaffold

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 00:58:27 +0000 (UTC), (Henry E
Schaffer) wrote:

So if I want to put up a scaffold about 5' high, 8' long and 3' deep
to work on the top half of an outside house wall - I'd need to follow an
"approved design" and retain a rigger to OK it?

No, because that's too small (low) to be regarded as scaffolding. The
major rules on "working at height" kick in when there's a chance of a
fall 2m.

I have faith that the bureaucrats will issue a "ruling" that the fall
is to be measured from the center of gravity of the person to the
ground. With the average workman's CG being 33" above the soles of the
shoes, that brings the "fall height" to 7' 9" 2m and therefore under
the scope of the scaffolding rules.
--
--henry schaffer
hes _AT_ ncsu _DOT_ edu