Posted to rec.woodworking
ChairMan[_6_] ChairMan[_6_] is offline

Default Any Opinions on this?

wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 00:19:21 -0500, "ChairMan"

I know its not a domino, Leon, but given what I need it
for
it seems like a possible alternative.
It gets so-so reviews and I'm wondering if the alignment
issues aren't operator issues and not the tool.
Also, Freud doesn't show it on their website, so assume
they

Much as the weight that Leon's opinion does carry, it
would be pretty
difficult for him to give a decent opinion on the Freud
FDW710K
Doweling Jointer if he hasn't tried the tool out.

To me, the greatest lack of capability that this
particular tool
carries, is the fact that you can't cut a slightly wider
mortise with
it (as you can with a Domino) and adjust the sideways fit
when you're
gluing up your project. In other words, with this doweling
jointer,
you have to be absolutely correct with placement or it's
going to be
screwed up.

To me, anyway, I think that's a glaring lack of
capability. I'd
suggest you will get a more informed opinion from some
users who
actually have used the tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FDW710K-...ews/B001ET78TC

I read the reviews and said it got so-so reviews and wanted
to know if the alignment
issues weren't operator issues and not the tool