Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Lawn tractor battery question

" wrote:
On May 21, 4:54 pm, wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 16:26:31 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
I've probably put that HF charger in the trash, and the battery has
long since been exchanged in. So, we'll never know. As for me, I'm not
going to take that chance again.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.
wrote in
On Tuesday, May 21, 2013 12:23:28 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I used to have a HF float charger. Left it clipped on to a marine
battery. A couple months later, the battery was down on water. Too 1
1/2 quarts to fill it up. The battery did not survive. If you use such
a junky charger, please put it on a 24 hour lamp timer, and run it an hour a day.

The harbor freight charger is incapable of producing enough current to
boil off a battery. That charger would burn up producing enough current
to boil off a battery.

You had some other problem, probably a shorted cell.

2 amps can boil a battery if the voltage required to push 2 amps is
high enough- Hide quoted text -

But how high can the voltage be on a 12V tractor battery?
15V? That's 30W. Can 30W boil a battery that size?

If the battery is discharged and high impedance, 20 volts might not be high
enough. If a battery is fully charged, .015 A can cause slow bubbling. .1 A
is starting to get excessive. I used to charge large cells with clear
walls, so you see inside. I've charged batteries in the military, at NASA,
and at home. I did one stupid thing in the army van. Dropped screwdriver
across terminals. The caps were off. I jumped out. Steams of fluid hit the
ceiling.

Greg