Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Any Opinions on this?

On 5/21/13 11:12 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 10:30:11 -0500, -MIKE- wrote:

Interesting. So you want an expensive, precise boring tool that still
allows you to be sloppy in your assembly? I thought that was one of the
most coveted features of the Domino-- the ability to cut mortises that
lined up precisely with one another.

Mike, all the biscuit joiners I've seen cut a slot a little wider than
the nominal biscuit size. The ability of the Domino to cut "exact" slots
may be the odd feature :-).

But regardless of the jig or joiner, all dowel holes have to be exact by
the nature of the beast. So you're right about those who want sloppy
fits from a doweling tool.

The last set of bookcases I built were in two sections.
I used dowels to align them during final assembly and they worked like a
charm.

After getting a good explanation for the "sloppiness" of the Domino, I
can see that they, too, would've provided the necessary "exact"
alignment for my assembly on the desired plane. I can also see how the
"sloppy" feature may have made my assembly a bit easier on the opposite
plane.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)