Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules Richardson[_2_] Jules Richardson[_2_] is offline

Default What's your most stupid DIY cockup?

On Tue, 14 May 2013 20:34:43 +0100, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Mine has to be taking the waste pipe off the sink and cleaning it under
running water in the same sink without a plug in. Every single time.

:-) I was replacing sink taps and waste pipework on a sink a few weeks
ago. I closed the under-sink shut-off valves, replaced the taps (mixer
spout with separate hot/cold controls), then hooked up the hot feed and
thought I'd test that for leaks before doing the cold, as access to the
pipework was going to be tricky once the cold feed was in place.

I was quite proud of myself for remembering to put a bucket under the
sink in place of the non-existant waste pipe. What I forgot to do was
ensure that the cold tap was shut off. With my head under the sink so I
could watch for leaks, I reached around and turned the hot tap on - at
which point water decided that the path of least resistance was through
the not-yet-connected cold inlet, rather than the spout and into the sink.

Needless to say, the bucket wasn't in the way, but my head was.