Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default Can I cover over my existing roof?

On 5/21/2013 5:47 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 08:50:57 +0200, dereklawler
wrote:

I’m planning to replace my whole roof but someone suggested me to cover
the existing roof with the new one I’m not sure that it’s good for my
home or not I f you guys have some knowledge about this specific issue
kindly share it with me.

Can be done. If the existing shingles are not curled and the roof
deck is in good shape with not leaks yet, you can do it. There is
some savings for the labor and cost of hauling, but keep in mind, if
you are still here for the next roof, it will be more costly to haul
away a double roof.

In any case, be sure to use a good 30 or 40 year shingle. Same labor
costs for the good stuff so it is a better value if you are going to
live there for a while.

That's what I did, over twenty years ago, and it still looks great.
I was told you could re-shingle over existing shingles once.
The longer warranty, textured type shingles that I got hide defects like
curls in old shingles.