Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_17_] Doug[_17_] is offline

Default Can I cover over my existing roof?

On Tue, 21 May 2013 08:50:57 +0200, dereklawler
wrote:

I’m planning to replace my whole roof but someone suggested me to cover
the existing roof with the new one I’m not sure that it’s good for my
home or not I f you guys have some knowledge about this specific issue
kindly share it with me.

Depends on the structure but most homes can withstand a new layer of
roofing on top. Personally I prefer not to do this because I think
the new roof is still depending on the roof underneath to a degree and
if you have any rotten wood, you may not know it. This is what
happened when I reroofed my home 2 years ago...discovered some rotten
wood when removing the old felt paper. At the time, I did not have
any leaks.