Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do I need coolant on a "shop use" lathe?

On Tue, 21 May 2013 08:54:46 GMT, "Harold & Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Ignoramus17710" wrote in message
m...
I am trying to finish up some unfinished business with my Clausing
6913 lathe. This is my question #1. Do I really need to set up a
coolant system on it? I have plenty of parts and bits for it, it will
not cost much, but I question its necessity. This is just for shop use
to fix stuff up, not for production.

thanks

It would have been wise to include the nature of the work you're trying to
do. Some material can be worked just fine with the use of the cutting liquid
of choice, and an acid brush. It doesn't cool well, but it does provide
lubrication for the cut, and typically improves surface finish.

The use of coolant on a machine that is not built to accommodate the flow
can be quite troublesome. If you're running a chuck, it tends to get
flung far and wide, making a general mess in the shop. Think carefully
before making the decision to add it to your lathe---it can be a mistake.

Harold

It can also be turned on and off..if done properly.

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
RaidŽ to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."