Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold & Susan Vordos Harold & Susan Vordos is offline

Default Grinding jaws of a 3 jaw chuck to run true

"Ignoramus17710" wrote in message
I am trying to finish up some unfinished business with my Clausing
6913 lathe. This is my question #2. I have a three jaw chuck on it,
and while the outside of the chuck is relatively true (as seen with a
dial indicator), the parts held in the chuck run anything but
true. From previous discussions and my searches, I could try to
regrind or re-cut the jaws, right? And if so, which way is better? Can
I do it with a carbide insert and auto feed?

Jaws should not be turned---they should be ground, as they are usually quite
hard, and won't turn uniformly as a result.

If you are not familiar with the prescribed procedure for preparing soft
jaws, I'd suggest you do nothing until you are. In order for the end
result to be useful, there are things you should do to ensure the proper
results. One of them is to use a dedicated socket, as each one tightens the
scroll differently, resulting in more or less run-out of the jaws. One's
choice should be the one which yields better results, so it should be used
in all cases, including tightening the jaws on the spider before grinding.
This socket should be well marked, so it is the only one used.

If you have two piece jaws, I'd suggest you explore the use of soft jaws
instead of screwing around with the hard jaws. They open the door to
solving all manner of chucking problems, and can be relied upon to repeat
within a half thou or less. If you're not familiar with soft jaws, I can
provide a link that will give you a serious amount of information, helping
you better understand how they are used. Please ask if you are interested.

Harold