Henry E Schaffer

Default Risk Management/Shop Safety and Advice (long)

In article ,
J. Clarke wrote:
There's also the matter of experience levels. Someone who has been doing
things for 20 years knows when to use a shortcut and when not and what he
personally can "get away" with. Someone with much less experience doesn't
have that judgment.

Agreed. This makes me very careful when showing somone else how to do
something with tools. I try to avoid the "do as I say, not as I do" by
demonstrating the safe way and not doing the shortcut when they're
watching.

And nobody has any way of knowing how much experience
a random person wandering into the newsgroup might have unless they are
already well known from other sources and known to actually be that person
instead of an impersonator, so it's best either to inquire or to assume the
worst.

This is what makes it so much harder than when demonstrating/teaching
in person - for then you can find out a lot more.
--
--henry schaffer
hes _AT_ ncsu _DOT_ edu