Posted to uk.finance,uk.d-i-y

Default Contactless cards again! [OT in uk.d-i-y]

Roger Mills explained on 20/05/2013 :
This article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22545804 appears to vindicate
what I have always said about contactless cards.

Not only are they vulnerable to fraud by villains with scanners who don't
need to get close enough to arouse suspicion, but it now seems that they're
also vulnerable to *accidental* use!

I'm very glad that I ditched my CapitalOne card when they insisted [1] on
replacing it with a contactless card.

More and more financial institutions are now using these things, making it
very difficult to avoid unless you do away with credit and debit cards
altogether. I've unfortunately still ended up with one or two, but they never
leave the house and are used only for on-line transactions.

The sooner the whole idea is re-thought, the better!

[1] Using the very dubious tactic of pretending that my previous card had
been "compromised" (which I'm damn sure it hadn't!) in order to provide a
pretext for needing to issue a new card long before the old one had expired.

A sheet of cooking foil, in with the notes of your wallet, would
probably be enough to defeat it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)