Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Wet, wet, wet

On 20/05/2013 10:19, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have given up on trying to get the tractor mower to collect the
clippings, it has just been far too wet the past couple of years - the
cuttings just stick in the collection duct and build up until it extends
into the cutting deck then jams the blade. The jammed blade then wrecks
the drive V belt.

My first mod, was to fit a flap diverting cuttings from entering the
duct, but even that choked up. So what I have done now is take the duct
off completely.

Anyone else having issues with their mowers jamming up due to the
constant wet weather over the past two years?

The first cut of the year is sometimes a pain with mine... the solution
seems to be cut on the highest setting (or one from the highest), and
then do it again at the normal position. If I then do it every week to
ten days it seems ok, but its still possible to get to occasional clog.

Alas my ride on does not have the option to just cut and drop (it can
cut and collect or cut and mulch) out of the box. You can spoof its
various interlocks to run with the collector off, but then it sprays
clippings in a huge fountain some 10' behind you ;-) No doubt a bit of
added on deflecting baffle would fix that and make it less likely to clog.

I am told the one that use a rotary brush for collection like the Contax
ones are better with wet grass.

--
Cheers,

John.