Posted to uk.finance,uk.d-i-y

Default Contactless cards again! [OT in uk.d-i-y]

This article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22545804 appears to
vindicate what I have always said about contactless cards.

Not only are they vulnerable to fraud by villains with scanners who
don't need to get close enough to arouse suspicion, but it now seems
that they're also vulnerable to *accidental* use!

I'm very glad that I ditched my CapitalOne card when they insisted [1]
on replacing it with a contactless card.

More and more financial institutions are now using these things, making
it very difficult to avoid unless you do away with credit and debit
cards altogether. I've unfortunately still ended up with one or two, but
they never leave the house and are used only for on-line transactions.

The sooner the whole idea is re-thought, the better!

[1] Using the very dubious tactic of pretending that my previous card
had been "compromised" (which I'm damn sure it hadn't!) in order to
provide a pretext for needing to issue a new card long before the old
one had expired.
--
Cheers,
Roger