Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Algebra Text?

On 19/05/2013 23:01, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Sun, 19 May 2013 17:09:37 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

Martin Brown wrote:

The final problem statement is for given a,b,c with

a^2 + b^2 = c^2

find algebraic expressions for A,B

s.t A^2 + B^2 = 2c^2

I wasn't sure how you wanted to define the relationship between a,b and A,B,
but if that is the only thing that relates them, and you just want A,B in
terms of a,b, then...

A^2 + B^2 = 2(a^2 + b^2)

...and simplify, solving for A and B.

Am I misunderstanding the question again, or are you really just asking for
a restatement of that equation with A and B isolated?

Maybe I forgot how to read math books, but I used to understand the
questions at least, a long time ago.

It's that "new math" :-}

...Jim Thompson

No. It is actually very old math, but it does require some innate
mathematical ability to see the correct solution.

How someone approaches this problem is very informative at interview
even if they cannot immediately see the right answer.

A much nastier Victorian one is construct with rule and compasses the
triangle specified by two sides and the radius of the inscribed circle.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown