Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus17710 Ignoramus17710 is offline

Default Grinding jaws of a 3 jaw chuck to run true

On 2013-05-19, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Sun, 19 May 2013 10:27:01 -0500, Ignoramus17710 wrote:

I am trying to finish up some unfinished business with my Clausing 6913
lathe. This is my question #2. I have a three jaw chuck on it, and while
the outside of the chuck is relatively true (as seen with a dial
indicator), the parts held in the chuck run anything but true. From
previous discussions and my searches, I could try to regrind or re-cut
the jaws, right? And if so, which way is better? Can I do it with a
carbide insert and auto feed?

This is an interesting thread, 'cuz I learned from someplace (which I
cannot now remember!) that you just don't trust 3-jaw chucks to not have
runout -- if you want precision without runout you use a collet set, or
you use a 4-jaw chuck and spend the time to dial it in each time you
mount the piece.

By "run true" do you mean that a round piece has runout, or that it's
tilted?

It is tilted, not parallel to axis of rotation. I would not care so
much about just being parallel, but off axis