Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic[_4_] azotic[_4_] is offline

Default Grinding jaws of a 3 jaw chuck to run true

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 May 2013 10:27:01 -0500, Ignoramus17710
wrote:

I am trying to finish up some unfinished business with my Clausing
6913 lathe. This is my question #2. I have a three jaw chuck on it,
and while the outside of the chuck is relatively true (as seen with a
dial indicator), the parts held in the chuck run anything but
true. From previous discussions and my searches, I could try to
regrind or re-cut the jaws, right? And if so, which way is better? Can
I do it with a carbide insert and auto feed?

Wrong question. What you should be asking is "where can I find a Buck
Adjust-Tru chuck to fit my lathe" (or Benard etc etc)

You might try new jaws..but most lathes will be lucky to give you
.003-.005 true with an already turned piece of rework in a 3 jaw.

Or 5c or 16C collets...which would be my suggestion given your ability
to score collets

I use bernerd multi-size collets, they can handle hex and round stock.
The multi-size collets have a longer grip than 5c or 16c collets. They
are pricey but worth the money.

Best Regards
Tom.
--