Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Grinding jaws of a 3 jaw chuck to run true

On Sun, 19 May 2013 09:08:14 -0700, "azotic"
wrote:

"Ignoramus17710" wrote in message
m...
I am trying to finish up some unfinished business with my Clausing
6913 lathe. This is my question #2. I have a three jaw chuck on it,
and while the outside of the chuck is relatively true (as seen with a
dial indicator), the parts held in the chuck run anything but
true. From previous discussions and my searches, I could try to
regrind or re-cut the jaws, right? And if so, which way is better? Can
I do it with a carbide insert and auto feed?

How much runout ?

Check the rounout at various diameters, 1" 2" 3" etc. If the runout is the
same ammount at any diameter just regrind the jaws. Use a ring so the
jaws are under load while truing. If the runout varies at different
diameters
the chuck is worn out and needs new jaws and scrol. Usualy its cheaper
to just buy a new chuck than try to fix one thats worn out. My 40 year old
bison 3 jaw has .002 runout. A carbide insert with auto feed will not work
very well in an interupted cut like a 3 jaw chuck.

Best Regards
Tom.

Best to use a tool post grinder rather than trying to turn the jaws.
They can be HARD in some cases.

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
RaidŽ to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."