Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Do I need coolant on a "shop use" lathe?

On Sun, 19 May 2013 10:22:29 -0500, Ignoramus17710
wrote:

I am trying to finish up some unfinished business with my Clausing
6913 lathe. This is my question #1. Do I really need to set up a
coolant system on it? I have plenty of parts and bits for it, it will
not cost much, but I question its necessity. This is just for shop use
to fix stuff up, not for production.

thanks

Id say in your case...yes....it makes sense to put on a cheap
submersable coolant pump in a 5 or 10 gallon tank and feed waterbased
coolant or oil...Im sure you can snag a drum of either at an auction
somewhere for little or nothing. In fact..you should have coolant
pumps out of some of the machinery you scrapped already with one spare
on the shelf. Sometimes, particularly during threading...where having
coolant available really really makes a big difference when cutting on
a lathe. If you already have the bits and pieces...use em. Set up the
lathe properly once..then you never have to worry about it. Same with
a butterfly on the ass end of your spindle.

Btw..find a steady rest and follower rest for a Clausing Colchester
flat topped 13" lathe for cheap..Id be interested.

Gunner

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
RaidŽ to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."