Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default Rockler FX router lift

wrote:
On Fri, 17 May 2013 20:34:34 -0700 (PDT), "Gramp's shop"
wrote:

On Friday, May 17, 2013 11:12:48 AM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
On 5/17/2013 12:56 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Gramp's shop" wrote:

I'm considering using this set up for panel-raising operations.

While I recognize the speed issues using a PC690, I seem to recall

that there are speed reducers available, oui?

You can probably find a speed control; however, consider the

following:

The output torque of a universal motor is directly proportional to

operating RPM.

If you are able to reduce the RPM of a PC690, you will also reduce

it's cutting torque.

Translation:

Taking even the shallowest cuts with a large bit and a PC690 at

8,000 RPM will result in burn cuts, especially in you are working

with Maple.

The same rules apply to a larger router such as a Milwaukee 5625;

however,

you are starting with a much bigger HP motor, so you will still have

enough

torque to get a clean cut, even at the 8,000 RPM level.

If you truly want to use large bits in a table mounted router, you

probably want

to start thinking about a larger table mounted router as well as the

lift.

Lew

Not true. I have a Bosch 1617evs and I cut panels fine..

I just use tempered hardboard spacers on the fence to take smaller cuts.

I pull one off and go again... simple and fast.

Larry you can pick up a speed controller yes.. I picked up one from HF

years ago for 9.99 on sale..

I had a Craftsman router probably 40-50 years old without speed control.

works great.

my 1617evs both of them are variable speed and have good torque.

--

Jeff

Thanks, guys. I also have a variable speed Dewalt that I believe will fit this lift.

The problem I have with table mounting variable speed routers is that
it's usually impossible to adjust the speed once it's under the table.
They're made to be operated by hand with little thought of table
mounting. I prefer to have a dedicated router for the table(s) and if
variable speed is needed, build the controller into the table, too. If
you're sinking that much money into a table, might just go all-in.

Simple solution.. Do you have a cell phone with a camera? Take a picture
of the speed dial and adjust accordingly. I used to use a mirror. :-)