Posted to alt.home.repair
Attila Iskander Attila Iskander is offline

Default Landlords annual inspection of apartment houses...why?

"Robert" wrote in message
On May 18, 8:34 am, "Attila Iskander"
wrote:

Landlord inspections serve 2 purposes
1) Allow landlord to look for problems that need fixing
2) Allow landlord to check that facility is not being abused / dammed
by
tenant

I require quarterly inspections in my leases
And every time I do a fix or upgrade allows me to do another as well.

I was a landlord for 25 years and I wish I had followed your
post. It would need to be written into the lease, pointed out
to the prospective tenant and initialled separately by them
and the penalties for failing to comply spelled out....and
initialled.
If I had done that, I would be many dollars ahead right now...

Indeed, such clauses are standard in the lease.
I also found that if you are are quite prompt with a repair and then ask if
anything else is getting wonky, after a while the tenant gets used to you
being around to see what needs fixing.
Half the time, I don't even need to inspect.
They'll come to me and mention that a faucet is getting ready to drip
because it's getting harder to close.
Some of my tenants actually do some of the smaller repairs for me as long as
I supply the parts. Kind of nice to get a call that the bathroom sink hot
water is starting to drip, and do I have a replacement washer for it ?
I have tried to standardize all my fixtures over time, so that I have
basically the same parts for all the units.
That also allows me to keep a box full of spare parts with my master list of
what goes where.
It's always easier if you can look up what is needed where and the reach
into a box that has a couple of spares.