Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Masonite flooring, bad idea?

On Sat, 18 May 2013 15:38:01 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 18 May 2013 00:54:56 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Slide hammer is one tool I don't own. I've never really had a need
for one in the last six decades.

You just haven't -realized- that you needed one those last 60 years,
Mikey. Some are small enough to work with one hand (thumb-actuated
hammah), removing seats in sink faucets. Until you use one, you may
not realize just how many uses it has.

The only bad seat I've run into was cracked, along with the brass
body. That spacing was NLA, so I filled the crack with liquid flux, and
soldered it.

You's from Flowda, ain'tcha, boy?

If all else fails, I'll try to drill a
hole through the bad stem and use a couple small pry bars to 'lift it
out'. Or a worn out huge old pair of dikes. Maybe bolt cutters?
Thread it, then use a spacer, a nut & wrench? ;-)

Aw, ya hack.

Where there is a will...

There are false beneficiaries clawing to get a piece.

CAUTION! Metalworking Content Follows: If you don't have the vise grip
tool for the slide hammah, you can make one by drill/tapping a 10-24
hole in the end of your vise grip adjuster screw. Now grind down a
long 10-24 bolt or screw head to fit the slid hammer cap and fit 'em
together. It's a --really-- handy tool to have. DAMHIKT.

then see if I can find a way to get it into my
bedroom. It's too wide for the hallway, so it looks like I'll have to
take out a window.

Always the hard way with you, eh, mon? (shakes head and grins)

The former owner was a midget. That hallway is only 26 inches wide
and wouldn't meet current building codes. If I was in better health, I
would tear out that wall, the old furnace and remodel the bathroom and
give me a 36" hallway. I may have to contact Vets Helping Vets and ask
them to do the work, but it really bugs me that I don't have the
strength or endurance I used to. The bathroom has lots of floor space,
but it is very poorly laid out. Especially for someone who's disabled.
I took one of my small shop carts in there, to hold on to when I'm
getting off the low slung toilet. I'm either going to buy a taller one,
or raise it four to five inches so I can stand up when I'm done. My dad
had the taller type installed at his house. Just the toilet was over
$400.

They're $135 at local Borgs. Consider a trapeze type lift, like they
use over old people's beds to help them sit up. Coupla tubafores
(cheaper than pipe, but both work), some rope, and a foot of pipe and
Bob's yer Uncle.
http://tinyurl.com/b8ke73w

I have no trouble standing up, as long as the seat isn't too low.
Just like my hospital bed. It's high enough that my legs are slightly
above my knees when I sit up.

Learn to lean your torso down onto your knees to take the weight off
the knee while you stand, then stand up and unbend. Works a treat.
I learned that when I had patellar tendinitis, which turned out to be
simple food allergies. Whenever I eat much corn + sugar, look out!
My rotator cuffs prefer the avoidance, too. If anecdotal evidence is
correct, I'll bet half the people in doctors offices could be pretty
much cured by simple diet changes. There's your cost savings for
Bammy Care. Don't throw Mama under the train. You'd have a better
time in doctors' offices without these other folks' allergies tying
them up, wouldn't you?

--
The Road to Success...is always under construction.
--anon