Larry Jaques

Default Risk Management/Shop Safety and Advice (long)

On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 18:25:11 -0700, charlie b
calmly ranted:

I've been thinking about the "Splitter" thread and an issue
it raised regarding the safe use of tools, be they hand or
power tools and advice solicited and advice given on the
subect. One participant, apparently a very experienced
and gifted woodworker with a lot of skills and knowledge of
woodworking tools and their uses, recommended against ever
using a splitter. Several others, myself included, felt
that recomendation was an irresponsible thing to do and gave
reasons why. The best thing that thread produced was the
point that each of us is his/her best safety device.

But I've been mulling over the issue of shop safey and safe
practices. I think that it's a matter of risk management.

Truer words were never spoken, charlie.

We are tool users and, as such, live in a very dangerous
society. Hand and power tools are dangerous, chemicals are
dangerous, driving cars & pushing mowers are both dangerous
pastimes. That said, I choose to do (nearly) all of the above
on a daily basis.

I'm alert enough to avoid most damaging situations, but end up
losing a bit of skin here and there _at_least_ once a week.
One move out of every ten thousand results in a shin scuff,
skin slice, knuckle scrape, splinter puncture, metal slice, etc.

Bottom line: It's all worth it.

(Besides, we need damage^H^H^H^H^H^Hchallenge to our bodies on
a regular basis to keep our immune systems in top shape.)

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

P.S: Didja have to remind us how arrogantly stupid we were at 16?

Vote early, Vote often, Vote for Chad!
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website & Database Development