Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Masonite flooring, bad idea?

On Sat, 18 May 2013 00:54:56 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Slide hammer is one tool I don't own. I've never really had a need
for one in the last six decades.

You just haven't -realized- that you needed one those last 60 years,
Mikey. Some are small enough to work with one hand (thumb-actuated
hammah), removing seats in sink faucets. Until you use one, you may
not realize just how many uses it has.

If all else fails, I'll try to drill a
hole through the bad stem and use a couple small pry bars to 'lift it
out'. Or a worn out huge old pair of dikes. Maybe bolt cutters?
Thread it, then use a spacer, a nut & wrench? ;-)

Aw, ya hack.

CAUTION! Metalworking Content Follows: If you don't have the vise grip
tool for the slide hammah, you can make one by drill/tapping a 10-24
hole in the end of your vise grip adjuster screw. Now grind down a
long 10-24 bolt or screw head to fit the slid hammer cap and fit 'em
together. It's a --really-- handy tool to have. DAMHIKT.

then see if I can find a way to get it into my
bedroom. It's too wide for the hallway, so it looks like I'll have to
take out a window.

Always the hard way with you, eh, mon? (shakes head and grins)

The former owner was a midget. That hallway is only 26 inches wide
and wouldn't meet current building codes. If I was in better health, I
would tear out that wall, the old furnace and remodel the bathroom and
give me a 36" hallway. I may have to contact Vets Helping Vets and ask
them to do the work, but it really bugs me that I don't have the
strength or endurance I used to. The bathroom has lots of floor space,
but it is very poorly laid out. Especially for someone who's disabled.
I took one of my small shop carts in there, to hold on to when I'm
getting off the low slung toilet. I'm either going to buy a taller one,
or raise it four to five inches so I can stand up when I'm done. My dad
had the taller type installed at his house. Just the toilet was over
$400.

They're $135 at local Borgs. Consider a trapeze type lift, like they
use over old people's beds to help them sit up. Coupla tubafores
(cheaper than pipe, but both work), some rope, and a foot of pipe and
Bob's yer Uncle.
http://tinyurl.com/b8ke73w

--
The Road to Success...is always under construction.
--anon