Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Masonite flooring, bad idea?

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Mon, 13 May 2013 17:09:36 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 12 May 2013 22:42:38 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 12 May 2013 13:41:47 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Office supply stores used to stock Tempered Masonite chair mats,
before the molded plastic ones were available. I saw a homemade one the
other day, for a large computer desk.

Oversized casters help there, too. If he goes with the masonite, the
larger wheels would do a bit less damage and make it last longer. If
he goes with carpet, they make it easier to roll on that, too. Since
all the new chairs are adjustable in height, taller wheels don't make
a difference to the user.

Unless the user has very short legs.

No, because the pneumatic cylinder is usually adjustable enough to
lower the seat accordingly. YMMV

Some don't go high enough for me. Not all the cylinders are created
the same. I am in the process of getting rid of a bunch of broken &
worn out chairs. Most have bad cylinders, some have multiple cracks,
and the others have too many stripped out bolt holes. They have all
passed their useful life, and just aren't worth more time & money for
another round of repairs. A couple of the molded plastic bases have let
the tube slide down enough to drag on the floor.

Bummer.

I was looking at this chair. It has a heavy duty cylinder.

Umm, all I can say is "RUN AWAY!"

http://www.everythingfurniture.com/off4-leather-office-chair-3.html?cmp=channeladvisor&kw=off4-leather-office-chair-3&utm_campaign=Froogle&utm_medium=Comparison&utm_s ource=Froogle_EF&utm_term=GO-228S-BK-LEA-GG&utm_content=Flash%20Furniture&gclid=COD1n_jT2rU CFQvpnAodJSkAaQ

That's a cardboard chair with maybe half an inch of padding in it. The
heavy-duty cylinder you see is really a cheap plastic cover over a
puny cylinder, I'll bet. ($10? When I bet, it's a sure thing, 'cuz I
can't afford to lose that much.) At $79, that's a cheapo pigskin
chair from Chiwan.

Id agree.

If you want a GOOD chair..hit business closings. Office furniture is
seldom sold at the auction except in job lots...and often you can
give the buyer $20 for a chair of that sort..because they are their
for the filing cabinets, etc etc

I haven't seen a business auction around here, for years. Most of the
time broker will just haul away everything and try to sell it out of a
warehouse. The last used office chair I saw for sale was one of those
heavy gray monsters the Army used in the '70s and they wanted $75 for
it. All I see are worn out $39 chairs for $45.

I found a office chair with bad stains hiding in the shop. It has
broken wheels. I have to see if I can get the stuck stems out without
breaking anything, then see if I can find a way to get it into my
bedroom. It's too wide for the hallway, so it looks like I'll have to
take out a window.