Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) is offline

Default Forklist carby stuff Questions`

On Wed, 15 May 2013 13:17:21 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Wed, 15 May 2013 19:04:41 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
snip
Nobody?

Doggonit I'm a "carburetor modifier" even and
I have no-idea what you're talkin' about, G. :/

Alvin in AZ

What...I didnt make it clear? My forklift has a carberator..and a
pressure regulator (normally called an evaporator). It has what is
called a "lockout" in it. This lockout keeps the evaporator from
giving any fuel to the carby..unless there is suction on a port on the
body of the evaporator. Just a few ounces of suction opens the
evaporator and allows it to supply fuel to the carb. The suction is
provided by a connection from the carby to the evaporator via a short
hose..so when you crank the engine..a little bit of the suction that
happens in the carb is also applied to the evaporator through that
hose..letting propane flow into the carb..and then starting the
engine.

What I have is no suction on the carborator port..and ..and..when I
apply suction to the evaporator..nothing flows. Only if I apply
PRESSURE to the evaporator does fuel flow. Blow into the suction
(vacuum) line..and it opens the valve and voila..fuel.

There is a button on the evaporator unit that is a "primer". When you
press it..it does something inside and it allows fuel to flow into the
carb without suction. So you dont have to crank it for 10-15 seconds
before the engine starts. Press the button..it pushed out propane
directly to the carborator. Kinda like a choke or gas shutoff
override (which it actually is)..it floods the carb with a big blast
of propane so it doesnt have to crank very hard before it starts.

So when I press the "primer" button..and hold it..the engine starts
right up, but the moment I let it go..the engine dies because the
evaporator stops allowing fuel to flow to the carb.

Hey, Schmuck! ;-P Have you tried calling IMPCO and asking for the
service instructions, parts list, exploded diagrams, etc? Or Googling
for them?

Sometimes they deliberately don't put the older items that had many
upgrades and revisions over the years on the Web and you have to ask
(because they'd rather sell you the newer revised version that usually
works better - and/or doesn't have a dangerous flaw when it fails...)
but it's always worth a look first.

And if it's dangerous to fix, they'll usually tell you, and you can
order a new one - sometimes for free or super cheap since the old one
is now defective. "Silent Recall"

If it's fixable, they should have a rebuild kit available. Pop it
open and replace the bad diaphraghm or weak spring.

It's probably something stupid simple - you Fix, you can handle stupid
simple. It's just outside your immediate field.

-- Bruce --