Posted to alt.home.repair
Shadow Shadow is offline

Default OT Birds crashing into windows!

On Wed, 15 May 2013 08:06:33 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

What's going on? Last year we had a bird hit the windows, maybe once a
month, or every two months. This year it's been more like 6-8 a day!!
And even the cautious ones hang on the junction ledge and press their
heads against the glass, or tentatively flutter around over the
surface of the glass, as if they could find some opening to get
through. Some of these birds are so aggressive they go to several
windows and sliding doors.

I had this issue with humming birds, decades ago, but only in
one room in the house. There were two large windows, facing each
other, at opposite sides of the room, so I suppose the glass was
invisible to them and they were trying tunnel through the room.
Opening the windows was not an option, as we rely on air-conditioning
for most of the year. Our cats would sit outside and grab the stunned
birds.
In your case, it looks like the birds are guarding their
territory by fighting their reflections in the glass. I've seen this
with a Great Kiskadee on my car window. The bird would spend hours
trying to kill its "rival", and eventually became weak with the
battle, it preferred fight over feed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Kiskadee
I suggest using some anti-reflexive compound on the window.
Maybe even soap would work. Or a one way-film so it appears opaque
from the outside.
I solved my problem parking my car someplace else.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012