Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What size electrical junction box fits a 1-inch diameter cable anyway?

On May 17, 1:32*am, DD_BobK wrote:
On May 16, 12:39*pm, "Danny D." wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2013 11:18:04 -0700, Oren wrote:
... take it to the person on isle 5: *"Give me one of these."

I did exactly that at Home Depot today, and the guy came up with these
nice new two-piece conduit connectors. I also bought extra long lengths
of the 10 AWG wire, as recommended, to replace that which I put in
yesterday:

*http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/13054955.jpg

Note: I did try to find insulated male & female spade connectors; but
they didn't have any for 220 volts and 10 AWG stranded wire; so I'll be
using the waterproof wire nuts with di-electric grease instead, on a
waterproofed junction box on an extra two inches of concrete to keep it
high (although the concrete pad itself is two inches off the ground).

If the box is waterproof why the need for waterproof wire nuts?
If the box was mounted on a post.... it would never get water inside
If the box didn't exist...you wouldn't need to mount it or use wire
nuts.

Are you learning....your way of doing things makes more work for you &
achieves subpar results.

Doh! We lost that battle early on. Danny had a real hard-on
for installing that box. I agree with you and Oren that the box
wasn't really necessary. But I think we missed one point in
explaining to him why. As I recall, he was complaining about
two things with regard to disconnecting and removing a pump
motor:

A - Very difficult to get the wires out from the motor. I disagreed
with that. Yeah, it's a little tight, but with a pair of needle nose
pliers, they should come out without much trouble.

B - He had to rotate the whole motor/pump to unscrew it
from the conduit, because the elbow screwed into threads
in the motor. I knew what he meant, but didn't think through
that there are two piece conduit elbows, where you could
remove the CONDUIT from the elbow, pull the wires out
of the motor and elbow, then unscrew the elbow. He now
has that type connector, actually he got rid of the elbows
at the motors all together, so taking it apart at the motor
should be no problem. But I don't think we clearly explained
those finer points to him.