Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Soldering tinsel wire again, my method

wrote in message
I know this has been kicked around plenty but I just soldered a new
plug onto a pair of ear buds and the method I use works fast and works
well and has worked every time for me. I melt enough flux core solder
on the soldering iron tip to cause a large drop to hang from the tip
when held horizontally. I then pass the tinsel wire, which I have
already twisted a bit so the strands stay together, through the
hanging drop. Sometimes I have to pass to wire forward and backwards a
couple times for it to tin completely. I then wipe or shake the solder
off, apply new solder, and do another wire. When I use the above
method the burned insulation and used up flux seem to rise up to and
over the iron tip while the solder drop hanging below stays clean.
Eric

Any idea of the iron temperature? sounds as though it may be lower than
usual solder work, you need to melt the insulation but not carbonise it
presumably