patriarch

Default Risk Management/Shop Safety and Advice (long)

charlie b wrote in
:

I've been thinking about the "Splitter" thread and an issue
it raised regarding the safe use of tools, be they hand or
power tools and advice solicited and advice given on the
subect. One participant, apparently a very experienced
and gifted woodworker with a lot of skills and knowledge of
woodworking tools and their uses, recommended against ever
using a splitter. Several others, myself included, felt
that recomendation was an irresponsible thing to do and gave
reasons why. The best thing that thread produced was the
point that each of us is his/her best safety device.

snippage of some well-used electrons
charlie b

Amen, brother!

What others can do safely often causes me to shudder, because I cannot
count on my concentration or fine motor control, or predict with accuracy
how that material or those tools will behave. IOW, what's safe for you, or
others, may be very dangerous for me.

Patriarch